I read a classmate's blog on his passion for reading and it inspired this blog topic. I love to read. It is one of my favorite activities. When I do actually catch a moment to myself, which is kinda of hard these days, you will catch me with a book in my hand or my tablet. I never had a problem readings but my passion for reading started when I was right out of 5th grade actually.
The summer camp I was going to that summer before my 6th grade, started participating in the D.E.A.R program. The D.E.A.R. program was getting used in schools around that time and to be honest I do not know if they still do it. Its the Drop Everything And Read. You had to bring a book everyday, and 30 minutes was blocked out for reading. If you didn't bring a book, they had the most boring and dull books to read. My mom was already big on reading and you could catch us at the library at least three times a week. One day I forgot my book and asked my mom for a book. It was my first adult novel. I was reading teen books , my baby sitters club, goosebumps, etc. I will never forget it. It was The Maintenance Man by Michael Baisden. I was so intrigued. I saw the people, the places they talked about, everything. I finished the novel in two days.
After that, I was hooked! I had to read. It became an hunger to read and consume more. I become my mother; reading partner. We would read books, and discuss them. We talked about the characters in the book as they were real people and we knew them personally. I got so hooked where I would stay up late reading. I would tell myself just one more page, one more chapter, and so one and so forth. The passion stayed with me till this day.
While I have been afforded to travel to a lot of places and different countries, I tell people I have been all over the world in books. I love all categories; Romance, Thriller, Sci-Fi, Mystery, etc, etc, etc
Well if you are into books like the lord of the rings, you should check out the wheel of time series. And then the stormlight archive. Both are amazing and impossible to put down.
ReplyDelete